Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Spring Coconut Cake


What kind of recipes do you like to make for Easter? One of my favourite flavours for Spring is coconut.

This past weekend, we had an early Easter/birthday celebration with my family. It was the first opportunity we had to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday with them & since we're all busy people (plus some of us will be out of town next weekend) we also decided to have our Easter get-together a week early.




It was my husband's birthday, after all, so I happily took on the responsibility of making the birthday cake and since our Easter celebration was included, I wanted to make something Springy as well.

This Coconut Cake was the perfect solution. The fact that it's made with a cake mix makes it fast & easy! 

It's so light & moist, it's the perfect dessert after a big meal.




Coconut Cake (From a Mix!)   Adapted from Betty Crocker

1 can coconut milk (not cream of coconut), stirred & divided
1 box white cake mix
1/4 cup water
3 egg whites
1/2 cup sweetened, flaked coconut, plus more for topping

1 cup butter, softened
1/4 tsp. coconut extract
1 3/4 cups confectioner's sugar

Heat oven to 350ยบ. Spray 2 round cake pans with non-stick spray. Reserve 1/3 cup of coconut milk for the frosting.

In large bowl, beat cake mix, remaining coconut milk (1 1/3 cups), water, & egg whites with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes, stopping to scrape bowl once. Stir in coconut until well combined. Pour into cake pans.

Bake as directed on box (about 30 minutes). Remove when cake tests done & cool completely. About 1 hour.

For frosting, cream butter & reserved 1/3 cup of coconut milk with an electric mixer until combined & very smooth. Stir in coconut extract & confectioner's sugar.

Frost cooled cake. Cover with flaked coconut. 




I hope you give it a try & love it as much as we did!


If you're a lover of coconut, check out some other favourites from my recipe box...







Thanks for reading. If you like what you see here on Silver Boxes, I'd love it if you would become a follower on Google Friend Connect, subscribe by email (sign up on the right sidebar), 
or follow along on FacebookPinterestInstagram, or Twitter
And please leave a comment when you do so I know who my new friends are! :)


Enjoy your day!




5 comments:

  1. Simple and beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the directions need to be more specific about the 1/3 cup of Coconut Milk into the frositng. Maybe you could put how much to put into the cake for those who are not recipe savy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother used to make a coconut cake every Easter, was a childhood favorite. Best part she made it a Bunny cake with ears, nose and little cotton tail and all covered in delicious coconut 'fur'. Thanks for sharing your post brought back a flood of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy! I never really liked coconut as a kid, and now I love it! It's strange how our tastes change...I will have to try this recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you'll love it! It's really light & yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips