Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Chocolate Dr. Pepper Cake


Last week was my husband's 40th birthday party. Big stuff, right? Happy birthday, hunny!

Every year, I ask him to choose what kind of birthday cake he would like. 
Seriously, he picks the best cakes... even though they usually are really time consuming to make. 
He's worth it! 
After taking a stroll through my "Let Them Eat Cake" board on Pinterest, he chose this cake. 





He's been a lover of Dr. Pepper for a long time.


It turned out to be a wonderful, moist chocolate cake with just a hint of Dr. Pepper flavour.




This was one of the simpler cakes he's chosen for his birthday, but so very yummy!


Chocolate Dr. Pepper Cake   Adapted from Fab Food

Cake:
2 cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup Dr. Pepper
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Frosting:
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup Dr. Pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cake:
Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Spray two 9-inch baking pans with non-stick spray. Cut 2 circles from wax paper or parchment paper & place in bottom of pans. This will make it easy to remove the cakes from the pans later.

Sift together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, and baking soda into a bowl and set aside. 

Pour the Dr. Pepper into a small saucepan and add the chocolate chips. Heat on low, stirring often, until the chips are just melted. Pull off the heat and set aside. 

Combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla in a mixer bowl and mix on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. With the mixer running, slowly pour in the Dr. Pepper-chocolate mixture and continue beating until combined, about 30 seconds. Gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing on low speed until incorporated. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes more. 

Divide the batter between the 2 pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean. Cool the layers in the pans for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and flip the pans over onto a cooling rack. Gently lift off the pans and let the cake layers cool completely. Remove wax paper circles.

Frosting:
Beat the butter until soft and fluffy. Add the confectioner's sugar and cocoa and continue mixing until combined. Stir together the Dr. Pepper and vanilla and very slowly pour it into the frosting, beating with the mixer on high speed to thin it down a bit. Continue beating until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. 

Set one layer on your cake plate. Spread with 1 cup of the frosting. Place the second layer on top of the frosted one. Spread the rest of the frosting all over the top and sides of the cake. 

Cut a big piece & ENJOY! (Be sure to share.)




Thanks for reading. If you like what you see here on Silver Boxes, I'd love it if you would become a follower on Google Friend Connect, subscribe by email (sign up on the right sidebar), 
or follow along on FacebookPinterestInstagram, or Twitter
And please leave a comment when you do so I know who my new friends are! :)


Enjoy your day!




13 comments:

  1. Jessica @ ViewFromRiverMountaiWednesday, March 06, 2013

    Looks yummy! I would love to have you link it up at Show It Off Wednesday.

    http://viewfromrivermountain.blogspot.com/2013/03/show-it-off-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake looks fantastic!! Thanks for sharing the recipe ... pinned! ;) Happy (belated) big 4-0 to your hubby. Looks like you created quite a "sweet" celebration for the special occasion! :)


    Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good one. I have to give it a try. The guys at work will love it! Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday to your Hubby!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one word... Yum! I cannot wait to try this. I love Coca Cola Cake but Dr. Pepper has so much more flavor, I bet this is divine. What a wonderful idea. I just pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Followed you over from The Gingerbread Blog link up party. I love chocolate cake and I love Dr. Pepper, so this is right up my alley. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! Now following via GFC :)


    Jackie
    www.thenonmarthamomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow!! will have to try this!!

    I would love it you could share this on my my link party - Serenity Saturday

    Natasha @ www.serenityyou.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks amazing! And I LOVE chocolate cake :o)
    Thanks for linking up this week!

    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm Dr.Pepper? I am not sure about this. I am not a big Dr.Pepper fan but my husband is and he would probably love it. Thank you for sharing on The Crafty Blog Stalker. I have featured you this week and it will be posted later tonight! I would love for you to stop by to grab a feature button and wear it on your blog proudly! You deserve it! Click here to get to your feature!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crystelle BoutiqueTuesday, March 12, 2013

    This looks really yummy! Do you think it would work with a different pop? say Sprite or Rootbeer?


    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. we dont get Dr. Pepper in UK :( any idea what can i substitute it with ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really excited for this! I had a few issues getting the frosting just right. Based off just the recipe it came out way to thick and lumpy, I added a very small splash of milk and it came out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this cake and recipe! My husband caught wind of a Dr Pepper cake and also requested it for his birthday coming up this weekend. I'm excited to try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steph, This cake made a wonderful impression! Everyone raved about it - especially the frosting! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I think it's going to be a permanent addition to my recipes. I did make one change to the cake recipe by using butter instead of vegetable oil. I wasn't sure I had made a good choice at first, but it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips