Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Muffins - Delicious & Low Fat!

  Confession: I like to bake from scratch. I don't like to use mixes unless I have to. I know, I know. Most of you are likely doing a facepalm thinking, "WHAT?!"  But hey, don't judge. ;)

  It's cheaper in the long run & I like knowing what's going into my food & not having all the "extras" that I can't pronounce. Can I get a witness?

  I have two favourite from-scratch pumpkin muffin recipes & this is one of them! It's low fat, has extra veggies snuck in, & is packed with yummy fall flavour!




Pumpkin Spice Muffins
makes 12

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat bran
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. allspice or cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup pureed pumpkin (canned or pureed from your baked fall pumpkins)
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 375º. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray & set aside.

In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients - flour, wheat bran, baking powder, spices, & salt. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients - pumpkin, carrots, buttermilk, honey, butter, egg, & vanilla. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture & stir just until moistened. Batter will be thick.

Divide batter among 12 muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in centre of muffin comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan & let cool on a wire rack. 



What are some of your favourite from-scratch baking recipes? I'd love to hear about them!

Thanks for reading. If you like what you see here on Silver Boxes, I'd love it if you would become a follower on Google Friend Connect, subscribe by email (sign up on the right sidebar), 
or follow along on FacebookPinterest, or Twitter
And please leave a comment when you do so I know who my new friends are! :)


Enjoy your day!



This recipe featured at:

9 comments:

  1. Healthy + delicious = awesome!

    I would love to have you share this or any other recipe of you at Wednesday Extravaganza - my foodie link party with a little special something! Here is the link:
    http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2012/10/wednesday-extravaganza.html

    Can't wait to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo...you had me at the low fat part....pinning...xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin anything is always delicious! I'm excited to try your version :o)

    Thank you so much for partying with us @ Keep Calm & Link Up this week! Have a nice weekend!! xo, Meredith @ http://www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh mercy. These look AMAZING!!! Pinning now and following you! Can't wait to see more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy...I can't get enough pumpkin and I love that they are healthy!

    I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have pinned these - how would you serve them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delish!!! I can't wait to try! New follower here from the link party! Would love for you to visit me and join my site as well!


    riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hosting a Thanksgiving party all month long (until Thanksgiving) and would love for you to come over and link it up! This is in addition to my normal Tasteful Tuesday party that runs every Tuesday. Thank you for taking the time to celebrate Thanksgiving and be THANKFUL for all our blessings. http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2012/10/pull-apart-pumpkin-maple-bread-and.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips