Monday, November 14, 2011

How To Bake A Pumpkin

  I know a lot of you out there in blog land are getting ready for American Thanksgiving. Are pumpkin pies on your menu?

  I bought some pumpkins at the farmer's market earlier this fall to use in my fall decorating. (Click here & here to read about them.) Since fall is officially over here in Saskatchewan & winter (including snow) has come, my pumpkins were due for a makeover... a cooking makeover that is.

  If you have bought pumpkins & have struggled to peel them before cooking them, then this post is for you, my friend! This couldn't be easier!

What you need:

  • A pumpkin (this is for a 4 lb. pumpkin. If your pumpkin is bigger, you'll need more water & leave it in the oven longer.)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 roaster pan or 2 smaller baking pans
  • An oven :)


1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.

2) Split the pumpkin in half & seed it. Remove the pumpkin guts (stingy fibres) by scraping the insides with a metal spoon.


3) Fill roasting pan with 1 cup water (more if your pumpkin is bigger). Place the two halves cut side down in the pan. 


4) Bake the pumpkin until very tender. About 90 minutes. Longer for a larger pumpkin. 

This is what they will look like. All blistered & bubbly.

5) Flip them over & scoop the flesh out of each pumpkin half. 


6) Puree pumpkin flesh in a food processor or blender & use as needed. It also freezes well.

Here's visual run down of the instructions (feel free to "pin it"):

Pin It (Aak! this pinning button doesn't seem to be working... I'm still figuring this out. Sorry!)





















What do you plan to make with your pumpkin? I use mine for yummy muffins & pies. 

Enjoy your day!

Linkin' Up:

6 comments:

  1. myfavoritethings2011Tuesday, November 15, 2011

    Thanks for sharing Stephanie! I've never tried it before, but it's pretty tough to find canned pumpkin puree here for some reason...this will come in handy! : )

    evie @ brown paper packages

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I started doing this last year, and froze it. That way we could enjoy pumpkin muffins through the winter. I have found that sugar pumpkins taste better and are less stringy than the really big ones, but both work. Oh, and you can also roast the seeds! I love pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have some pumpkins that need baking, too! Love having it ready in the freezer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the posting on Chef in Training . . . I ALWAYS forget how to do this from year to year and I LOVE homemade pumpkin pie . . . it is so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Good! Thanks! Visit me at http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/ for recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BlushchicboutiqueSunday, November 20, 2011

    This looks so delicious. I will have to try it.. I am your newest follower..

    -Brooke
    blushboutiquestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips