Some highlights (in no particular order):
1. Disneyland! The main reason for our trip was Disneyland. None of us had been before & it did not disappoint. My favourite rides were Radiator Springs Racers, Peter Pan, & It's A Small World.
It was my son's wish to be able to go there on his birthday. We were thrilled to be able to make that wish come true!
3. Sea World. We thoroughly enjoyed Sea World. The highlight of the day was petting the dolphins.
4. Zion National Park, Utah. We only got to spend a couple of hours in the park & it just wasn't enough. We plan to return in the future to explore, hike, & enjoy for several days. The area is just breathtaking.
5. The Grand Canyon, Arizona. So vast & majestic. I had visited many years ago, but the rest of my family had never been. It was exciting to share this natural wonder with them.
6. Route 66. Driving from Flagstaff to Anaheim, we drove on Route 66 & stopped in a little town called Seligman, Arizona. We ate at a restaurant called The Roadkill Cafe & took lots of photos on the town's main drag.
7. The San Diego Zoo. My son loved the huge collection of reptiles & bugs. My daughter loved the pandas, elephants, & having her face painted. :)
8. USS Midway in San Diego. It actually wasn't in our plans to visit this floating museum, but we had some time one afternoon & the admission was included in our Go San Diego cards, so off we went. I have to say, even from a woman's perspective, it was pretty cool.
9. Avenue of the Giants. The stunningly beautiful drive through the redwood trees of California is indescribable. We would love to visit this area more extensively someday.
10. The California/Oregon coastline. We drove up highway 1 for the better part of a day. It was cool & foggy. Even though we couldn't see much of the ocean, what we saw was beautiful! We'd also like to come back & visit this area again.
When we arrived home a couple days ago, I posted this on facebook:
"3,200 km travelled, a car covered in bug guts & dust, lots of Disney paraphernalia, almost 1,000 photos, 7 states, some great hotels, some not-so-great hotels, 1 house key mishap, 1 hospital visit for an ear infection, many Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew audio books, lots of Christian radio, so many beautiful vistas viewed... the epic Richardson road trip has come to an end, but the memories will stay with us forever."
Alas, it is over, but we now have several more places to go back & visit. We were so blessed to be able to take this trip & we treasure each memory we were able to make together as a family.
It's good to be home.