Thursday, July 05, 2012

An Old Friend Gets A Makeover

  
  Years ago, when my grandpa was moving into an assisted living home, he had an auction to sell off his & my granny's estate. We, as a family spent the day at the auction, helping out. My parent's told my brother & I to let them know if there was anything of our grandparent's that we really wanted. As a teenager, I didn't always speak up & let my thoughts be known. (In fact, I'm still learning to speak my mind.) Anyway, that whole day I had my eye on this mustard coloured stool. I loved the retro look. It reminded me of playing pool in my grandparent's basement because that's where it's home was. But... I didn't tell my parents

  Most of the day went by & finally this stool came up for bid. Because I hadn't said anything to my parents about my desire to have it, someone else bought it. I was kinda bummed & finally mentioned it to my parents that I really wished I could have had that stool. 

  My parents were so nice about it & didn't give me a hard time. They went to the people who had just bought it & explained that that stool was the one thing that this man's grand daughter really wanted. The people were very understanding & accepted what they had paid for it in return. 

  I got grandpa's stool after all! And learned a lesson in speaking up...

  After years of use & after our two kids came along, the stool had seen better days. But alas, the stool holds a lot of  sentimental value for me. I was not willing to let it go. (Which is saying a lot for me. I rarely have a hard time getting rid of things.)


 Finally, last month my mom (who happens to be an interior decorator - I know: Score! Love you mom!) & I took the stool & went in search of an upholstery shop. We found a great place that specializes in boat upholstery & therefore had a ton of vinyl to choose from. 

  I chose a dark grey with a bit of veining to make it look more like leather. I took the legs off before hand & spray painted them a glossy black.


  
My old friend looks new again & we are enjoying the new look so much!! I wish I could say I upholstered it myself, but since I've never upholstered in my life, I wasn't willing to practice on such a special piece. 
I left it to the professionals. 



I love it!!

Enjoy your day!


This project was featured on:


6 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you were able to get that stool that you wanted. It looks great!
    Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita StaffordFriday, July 06, 2012

    The stool looks great, and I'm so glad you were able to get to have it as a keepsake! I have a few things that belonged to my grandparents (like a Fiesta platter) and I treasure what I have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin @ His & HersSaturday, July 07, 2012

    I think it's so cool when people give new life to pieces that have sentimental value and have been in the family for years. I love the stuff in my house that belonged to my Grammy. The new gray color looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really great! Nice job! Thanks for sharing!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for linking up to our party back on the 3rd :) We're featuring you tomorrow, I hope you come take a look!


    ~Jenn
    http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips