Monday, May 28, 2012

The Dish Soap Challenge. Week Two: The Toilet

Here we are at the second week of my dish soap cleaning experiment. If you missed the first experiment, allow me to explain. 

I'm issuing myself a challenge to start doing my cleaning with dish soap wherever I can. Every week for the next while I'll clean something new with dish soap & see how the results stack up to the results using a more expensive, specialty cleaner. I'll use my home as the guinea pig & let you in on the results.

If you missed week one, you can find it here as well as get a little more in depth explanation.



This week, I set aside my regular toilet cleaner & got out my trusty dish soap. 



After learning my lesson last week, I added only a little bit of dish soap to the toilet bowl & cleaned as usual with my toilet brush.

Before

After

Verdict: I plan to keep cleaning my toilet this way. Dish soap got the toilet just as clean as a toilet bowl cleaner.

  I know many people are concerned with always having anti-bactirial cleaners. I am not one of those people. :) People have lived for years using simple ingredients to clean their homes. I believe we can continue to do the same without detriment to our health & homes. 

  So, if cleaning your toilet with dish soap freaks you out because you like every germ to be accounted for, dish soap may not be the toilet cleaner for you.

For me, the dish soap experiment is going well & we're 2 for 2!

Thanks for reading. If you like what you see here on Silver Boxes, feel free to become a follower, 
subscribe by email (sign up on the right sidebar), or follow along on FacebookPinterest, or Twitter
And please leave a comment when you do so I know who my new friends are! :)


Enjoy your day!



15 comments:

  1. I am new to your blog - love the dish soap challenge!  I also am not one bit bothered by not using anti-bacterial products.  Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Cool!!  Will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh!!!  I will try this!!  I never actually thought of using dish soap besides for cleaning dishes! hehe

    Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your experiment.  I am beyond with you about the anti-bacterial products.  I am down to vinegar, rubbing alcohol, dish soap and...comet in my house.  Can't break free from the comet.  LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Good to know! I will have to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I am concerned about all of the chemicals in most cleaners. I've been experimenting with different products myself. I'll have to try using dishsoap as a substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out my laundry detergent recipe. I use dish soap in my clothes to clean out the oily stains. Works great! 
    http://pounds4pennies.com/2012/05/laundry-detergent-recipe/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this!  I use dish soap for a lot of things too, but never tried in the toilet. . .will do this next time!  Have you tried using it on greasy spots on your clothes for the wash?  works great.  Also, you CAN buy an antibacterial dish soap if you are very worried about it.  

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... I would have never thought to do that. Looking forward to the other challenges! I hope you'll link up at Off the Hook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2yellowbirdsdecorMonday, June 04, 2012

    That is so amazing!!! I guess I need to start using dish soap to clean my house! Thanks for sharing the second experiment with us at Thursdays Temptation. I look forward to seeing what else you can clean with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! Loved the tub challenge and now this.  It takes guts to photograph your toilet - you rock!  I agree - we lived long before everything was antibacterial!! Great job!
    Thanks for linking - Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you are posting on this, I was surprised to see that the dish soap worked to clean your tub and even more surprised to see it worked for your toilet.  I need to try using the dish soap to clean around my house. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you think natural dish soaps, aka enviro-friendly could clean as well and keep the people against anti-bacterial soap use happy too? 

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, that toilet bowl looks as good as new! It turned from cream, into pearly white! =) It’s time to recommend that cleaning solution to my auntie for her old toilet bowl. It’s probably useful for countertops as well, don’t you think?

    http://www.advancedplumbing.ca/about/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips