Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Chevron Wall Art

  Am I the only one who wants to spruce things up in their home in Spring time? Rearranging furniture, bookshelves, pictures on the walls... Spring is a time of CHANGE. Last week, I showed you my family room & a list of small things I wanted to tackle to spruce it up a bit. Here is my first completed project from that list.


  The art in our family room was feeling kind of tired to me {Yawn}. Definitely time for a change. Something fresh & springy.

  I had these 9 canvases that I got at the dollar store several years ago & I covered them with patterned paper to make my own "art". After changing them a couple of times, I was ready for something new again.

BEFORE


  I started thinking chevron... something in chevron. But what colour? How about a few colours? My idea was born: take the existing canvases, take off the paper & paint a chevron print onto them with craft paint. Three rows of canvases, three different colours. Yellow, grey, & aqua.

  I found a chevron template printable here & got all my supplies together.



 After tracing & cutting two stencils out of cardboard, I started painting. Let me tell you from experience that you should first paint your whole canvas your background colour first. It would have made touch ups go much faster. Alas, hindsight is 20/20. :)

Here is the finished product:



  I also moved them to the other side of the room over the couch. Please forgive the poor photos as there is no natural light in this room.



  The total cost of this artwork was very small. I had the canvases already so there was no cost there. The only thing I had to buy was the yellow & aqua paint - a cost of under $5.


  I love being able to cross things off of my to do list!

Now on to the other projects!

Enjoy your day!


This project was featured on:



What's cooking, love?

23 comments:

  1. Looks awesome Steph! Chevron is everywhere you think I would be tired of it but there is just something about it that I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HappyhodgepodgehomeTuesday, May 08, 2012

    I like the colors you used! Pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cute- I love the choice of colors! Visiting you from Not Just a Housewife linky party! :)
    ~Laura
    http://www.somekindoflovelyride.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. ThewinthropchroniclesTuesday, May 08, 2012

    I love the colors and the chevron pattern! I would love for you to share this at my link party-
    http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/2012/05/share-it-link-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda RandallTuesday, May 08, 2012

    I love this! I'm sort of obsessed lately with chevrons, and I would love to do something like this for our home. Thank so much for sharing!



    I would love it if you would link up at Watch Out,
    Martha!’s first link up party: Martha Mondays, going on now through tomorrow
    night! Hope to see you there!


    http://www.watchoutmartha.net/2012/05/martha-monday-link-up-party.html
     

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Steph! Visiting you from Staci's Not Just a Housewife linky party! I love the chevron pattern and the colors are PERFECT for spring. Thanks for sharing! http://gillianluce.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Courtney, Jen, Laryssa diydiarTuesday, May 08, 2012

    Love the colors and the pattern! I would love to have you link it up to our party.
    http://www.ourdiydiaries.com/2012/05/fab-not-drab-friday.html

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. They totally make a huge impact - fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love chevron and this is great, I am following you by linky. 
    Tricia @ Seeking Eco Chic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Such a quick project has such an impact!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aparna SubramanianWednesday, May 09, 2012

    Such a simple and easy way to jazz up a wall! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the chevron & the colors you choose. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. THIS is absolutely gorgeous!!  LOVE it!!  Hope you can link this up at my turquoise lovin' party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. CookiecrumbsandsawdustThursday, May 10, 2012

    Hi Steph,

    I love those quick changes -especially when  you redo something you already have. And the chevron is so fun! Great job.

    I spied your stripes at the Uncommon linky party. I would love if you stopped by my blog.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That is a great idea! I am in need of DIY Chevron wall art for my son's nursery! I may have to try this!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. UncommondesignsFriday, May 11, 2012

    This looks amazing! So bold and bright! I bet you feel so energized with your new art in the family room!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look great, Steph! Such a huge pop of fun and colour for your space.

    They match your blog, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. super cute! i would love for you to add this to my weekend link party. check it out here:
    http://www.lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com/2012/05/spread-love-8-harem-royal-giveaway.html
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so into chevron lately.  You did a great job, I'm pinning this.  I hope you can come to The Sunday Round Up Link Party and share this, 
    It starts every Saturday night.
    Rose
    http://www.arosiesweethome.com/ 

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like the chevron wall art and I really like the colors you used.  I might do something like this for my wall.  Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday.  I hope to see you at the next party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for linking up to Showcase Your Talent Thursday, you have been featured!http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/05/showcase-your-talent-thursday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Accordingtol1128Tuesday, May 29, 2012

    I am in love with the chevron pattern!  Good work!

    LBhttp://accordingtol1128.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This turned out beautiful!  I'd love for you to add it on my link party at: http://printabelle.com/?p=4459 Thanks! 

    ReplyDelete
Blogging tips