Thursday, December 22, 2011

Glittered Pinecones

  My very last Christmas project... what a month it's been! Don't get me wrong - a very fun month, but a very busy month. There were so many great things shared out in blog land. No shortage of inspiration, that is for sure.

  Back in November, I compiled a list of Christmas crafts I would like to try. Well, I am happy to tell you that I was able try my hand at all four. One, however, was a flop for me & so I am left with the remaining three. This is the final project... talk about leaving it to the last minute!

  Thankfully, these glittery pinecones are more of a wintery craft so I will likely keep them out into January & February.



  (If you're interested in the other crafts I did this Christmas season, check out the Spool Tree Ornaments & Toilet Roll Treat Packets I posted about. The wrapped candy canes I tried were a bust for me. I couldn't get them to look right. Bummer.)

  If you would like to make some of these, here's what you need:

  • pinecones
  • spray paint (I used white & silver)
  • white glue that dries clear
  • glitter (I used 'crystal')

1) Spray your pinecones very lightly with even, sweeping strokes. Let dry. Turn over & paint the other side. Let dry.  I purposefully didn't want mine totally painted. I wanted a bit of natural showing through.

I did a batch of white & a batch of silver, although it's hard to tell the difference in this photo.

2) Once the paint has dried, make a puddle of white glue on a piece of cardboard or something you don't mind getting glue on. I used whatever I could find in our recycling bin. 


3) One at a time, roll the pinecone in the glue, getting a bit on the tips. 



4) Shake some glitter over the glue spots. Let dry. 
You can also roll the glued pinecone in a 'puddle' of glitter. I poured, then when I had quite a bit sitting on my cardboard, I rolled to use some of it up.


I did steps 3 & 4 on each pinecone so that the glue didn't have a chance to dry before I got to them. If you're only doing a small amount, you could glue them all & then glitter them all.



5) After they've dried, use them however you would like in your decor. I'm considering making a pinecone wreath for next Christmas!

Little tip: I found this idea on Pinterest & had one of those "why-didn't-I-think-of-that" moments.
Use a cardboard roll as a vase filler!

via Dandelions & Dust Bunnies
Genius, right?


So, hidden in amongst the pinecones is a cardboard roll. :)



My last craft project for the year. Exhale. :)

Enjoy your day!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the combo of rustic and sparkle! Great job! I would love for you to come party today over at Passionatelyperfect.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely... and not overdone.  Just perfect! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SUPER adorable.. I Love it.. Very creative..I would LOVE for you to please link it via my Pin'Inspirational Thursday Party Pweeease..It's happening right now via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/12/pininspirational-thursday-14-linky.html .. Hope you can stop in.. Cheers to a HAPPY NEW YEAR.. ~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips