Monday, November 28, 2011

Spool Tree Ornaments

  Wow! Is it really less than a month until Christmas? Are you busy getting ready? I sure am! This weekend, it looked like my craft room threw up... I had so many things on the go. It was such a mess! I can't forget how blessed I am to even have a craft room to mess up... The last two houses we lived in, I didn't have that luxury.

  Here's one of the projects I was working on. Vintage spool tree ornaments. I found the vintage spools at a thrift shop this fall. I had pinned this idea on Pinterest & knew exactly what I was going to do with them. They turned out so pretty!

  • spools (vintage or new)
  • glitter
  • all-purpose white glue
  • sheet music or other paper
  • pearl beads
  • buttons
  • wire (I just used Christmas tree ornament hooks)
  • small wire working pliers 
  • hot glue

  1. Start by running a small bead of glue on the edges of the spools. Roll in glitter. Let dry.
  2. Cut strips of sheet music or other paper & adhere to the centre of the spools.
  3. Glue buttons to the bottom of the spool with hot glue.
  4. Shape your wire into curly-cues & add pearl beads. Add a twist on each end of the bead to keep it on the wire. Glue into top hole of the spool with hot glue. 
  5. Call your friends & brag to them about your pretty Christmas ornaments!

They look so nice & vintage-y on our Christmas tree. 

A set of these would also make a fabulous gift... especially for a seamstress or fellow crafter. :) 
I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for more of these little goodies. 

I hope you're starting to enjoy the Christmas spirit & have had some time to start your preparations.

Enjoy your day!
Linkin' Up:


  1. Very creative!  It reminds me of something elegant, eclectic and antique. I'm a new follower and invite you to come follow back if you'd like.   I'd love for you to link up to our Holiday link party.

    Corie @ Design DNA

  2. Love them! Great job! Thanks for sharing!

  3. I love these - they have such a sweet vintage feel to them.If you have a moment, I would be thrilled if you shared this
    on my Inspiration Board {link party}. I know my readers would love it.


    carolyn - homework

  4. These are so pretty!! I love them. Thanks for sharing!

  5. So pretty and so creative, Steph!  I love the vintage vibe!  :)  Thanks so much for sharing! 

  6. I LOVE these! They are so cute! You can totally mold them to your personal style. I am going to add this to my to do list. I would love for you to come link up to my party if you had the time -

    Hope to see you there!


  7. These are so cute and so clever!


  8. These are so cute- I love musical notes and so does my daughter- I agree with Corie that it reminds me of something elegant and antique. Perhaps you would like to show it off at my Holiday Contest at Cheers

  9. This is so cute.  I've pinned it for later.

  10. Your spools are beautiful!
    ~ Julie

  11. Too cute!  You know I love sheet music crafts, and these turned out great!  Thanks for linking up at One Artsy Mama!

  12. THANKS SO MUCH again for featuring your ornaments on A Special Christmas Soiree.. I picked you as one of MY FAV of the series.. I sincerely appreicate you stopping in and linkng.. THANKS SO MUCH.. Wishing you HAPPIEST OF HOLIDAY'S.. Please stop in and have a looksey..

  13. these are adorable! i made my own version using some vintage christmas books as well:

    thanks for sharing at our party!

  14. Oh my gosh - I love love LOVE this idea! Music and sewing... my two big loves! All those old spools that my mother had are gone... and nowadays they are all plastic... but I will find some... somewhere... someday... this is so wonderful! Too many ideas... my head is spinning! Merry Merry - Deb (

  15. i love the sheet music on them!! thank you so much for linking this up


Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips