Monday, November 28, 2011

Spool Tree Ornaments

  Wow! Is it really less than a month until Christmas? Are you busy getting ready? I sure am! This weekend, it looked like my craft room threw up... I had so many things on the go. It was such a mess! I can't forget how blessed I am to even have a craft room to mess up... The last two houses we lived in, I didn't have that luxury.

  Here's one of the projects I was working on. Vintage spool tree ornaments. I found the vintage spools at a thrift shop this fall. I had pinned this idea on Pinterest & knew exactly what I was going to do with them. They turned out so pretty!


Supplies:
  • spools (vintage or new)
  • glitter
  • all-purpose white glue
  • sheet music or other paper
  • pearl beads
  • buttons
  • wire (I just used Christmas tree ornament hooks)
  • small wire working pliers 
  • hot glue

Instructions:
  1. Start by running a small bead of glue on the edges of the spools. Roll in glitter. Let dry.
  2. Cut strips of sheet music or other paper & adhere to the centre of the spools.
  3. Glue buttons to the bottom of the spool with hot glue.
  4. Shape your wire into curly-cues & add pearl beads. Add a twist on each end of the bead to keep it on the wire. Glue into top hole of the spool with hot glue. 
  5. Call your friends & brag to them about your pretty Christmas ornaments!


They look so nice & vintage-y on our Christmas tree. 


A set of these would also make a fabulous gift... especially for a seamstress or fellow crafter. :) 
I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for more of these little goodies. 

I hope you're starting to enjoy the Christmas spirit & have had some time to start your preparations.

Enjoy your day!
Linkin' Up:

16 comments:

  1. Very creative!  It reminds me of something elegant, eclectic and antique. I'm a new follower and invite you to come follow back if you'd like.   I'd love for you to link up to our Holiday link party.  http://stirizsisters.blogspot.com/2011/11/holiday-diy-gift-cataog-link-party_18.html

    Corie @ Design DNA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them! Great job! Thanks for sharing!
    Melody
    Chattychics.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these - they have such a sweet vintage feel to them.If you have a moment, I would be thrilled if you shared this
    on my Inspiration Board {link party}. I know my readers would love it.

     


    http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/11/inspiration-board-link-party-26.html


    carolyn - homework

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty!! I love them. Thanks for sharing!
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty and so creative, Steph!  I love the vintage vibe!  :)  Thanks so much for sharing! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these! They are so cute! You can totally mold them to your personal style. I am going to add this to my to do list. I would love for you to come link up to my party if you had the time - http://www.literallyinspired.com/2011/11/wytbw-i-am-almost-30.html

    Hope to see you there!

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute and so clever!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute- I love musical notes and so does my daughter- I agree with Corie that it reminds me of something elegant and antique. Perhaps you would like to show it off at my Holiday Contest at  http://astuteinfo.blogspot.com/2011/12/best-holiday-decor-contest.html. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute.  I've pinned it for later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your spools are beautiful!
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too cute!  You know I love sheet music crafts, and these turned out great!  Thanks for linking up at One Artsy Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANKS SO MUCH again for featuring your ornaments on A Special Christmas Soiree.. I picked you as one of MY FAV of the series.. I sincerely appreicate you stopping in and linkng.. THANKS SO MUCH.. Wishing you HAPPIEST OF HOLIDAY'S.. Please stop in and have a looksey.. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/12/special-christmas-soireecapturing_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are adorable! i made my own version using some vintage christmas books as well:

    http://primitiveandproper.blogspot.com/2012/11/vintage-wood-spool-ornaments-tutorial.html



    thanks for sharing at our party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh - I love love LOVE this idea! Music and sewing... my two big loves! All those old spools that my mother had are gone... and nowadays they are all plastic... but I will find some... somewhere... someday... this is so wonderful! Too many ideas... my head is spinning! Merry Merry - Deb (deborahrah@blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love the sheet music on them!! thank you so much for linking this up

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips