Friday, November 11, 2011

Classic Sugar Cookies

  Every year I try to start my Christmas baking in November. Some years it happens. Some, it doesn't. This year: so far, so good. :) My goal is to make one Christmas sweet each week & when December rolls around, my Christmas baking is pretty much done! Like I said, we'll see if that happens. At least I'll have a head start, right?

  This week, my little girl & I made these colourful Sugar Cookies to tuck away in the freezer for our Christmas celebrations. You can use whatever coloured sugar you want. I wanted to go for Peacock type colours. We bought these pretty coloured sugars at the Bulk Barn here in Saskatoon.



Classic Sugar Cookies
Makes 3 1/2 dozen. These are soft & chewy unlike a lot of sugar cookies. I also like that you don't have to roll out & cut the dough. Simply roll into balls & dip in pretty sugar.

2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

1/3 cup sugar for decorating 
(Use regular white sugar if you don't have any coloured sugar. You can also use food colouring to tint your own.)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350° F.

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, & sugar. Stir in the eggs & vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir into creamed mixture until dough comes together. 

Roll dough into truffle sized balls & dip the balls in sugar. Place them on ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.

Bake 10-12 minutes in a preheated oven, until bottoms of cookies are light brown. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.

~~~

When do you usually start making Christmas treats? 
These pretty sugars make me want to go make some other goodies!

~~~

On another note...

  It being November 11th, let's all take some time to remember the men & women who have served our country & given their lives to fight for our freedom. We must never forget that there is a price to be payed for peace & freedom. I'm so thankful that we live in a free country where we are free to worship God. 

  I, for one, will never forget their sacrifice. I hope you won't either.

~~~

Enjoy your day!
Linkin' Up:

2 comments:

  1. Sugar cookies are my favorite!!   I usually start baking the first week of December and freeze everything.  Love love love to make cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making cookies at Christmas but I don't do it every year as it just gets too hot! I think I might make caramels in the microwave this year. I guess I need to start thinking about it-thanks for reminding me! 

    Thanks so much for your birthday wishes! You are so sweet to think of me.

    Best wishes for a wonderful week,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips